selfish adj : concerned chiefly or only with yourself; "Selfish men were...trying to make capital for themselves out of the sacred cause of civil rights"- Maria Weston Chapman [ant: unselfish]
- Holding one’s self-interest as the standard for decision making.
- Regard for oneself above others’ well-being.
holding one's self-interest as the standard for decision making
regard for oneself above others' well-being
- ttbc Arabic:
- ttbc Chinese: 自私 (zìsī)
- ttbc Czech: sobecký
- ttbc Dutch: zelfzuchtig, egoïstisch
- ttbc French: égoïste
- ttbc German: selbstsüchtig, egoistisch
- ttbc Greek: ατομιστής (atomistís) , εγωιστής (eɣoistís) , ιδιοτελής (iðiotelís) , φίλαυτος (fílaftos)
- ttbc Italian: egoistico
- ttbc Korean: 이기적 (igijeok)
Selfishness denotes the precedence given in thought or deed to the self, i.e., self interest or self concern. It is the act of placing one's own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others. Selfishness is the opposite of altruism.
The implications of selfishness have inspired divergent views within religious, philosophical, psychological, economic and evolutionary contexts.
- Twilight of the Idols, Friedrich Nietzsche Penguin Classics; Reissue edition (February 15, 1990), ISBN 0140445145
- The Evolution of Cooperation, Robert Axelrod, Basic Books, ISBN 0-465-02121-2
- The Selfish Gene, Richard Dawkins (1990), second edition -- includes two chapters about the evolution of cooperation, ISBN 0-19-286092-5
- The Virtue of Selfishness, Ayn Rand, ISBN 0451163931
selfish in Hebrew: אנוכיות
selfish in Portuguese: Egoísmo
selfish in Serbian: Себичност
acquisitive, ambitious for self, autistic, avaricious, careerist, covetous, egocentric, egocentristic, egoistic, egoistical, egomaniacal, egotistic, egotistical, grasping, greedy, grudging, illiberal, inconsiderate, individualistic, mean, mercenary, miserly, narcissan, narcissine, narcissistic, narcistic, narrow, niggardly, parsimonious, penny-pinching, penurious, personalistic, possessive, privatistic, remote, self-absorbed, self-admiring, self-advancing, self-aggrandizing, self-besot, self-centered, self-concerned, self-considerative, self-contained, self-devoted, self-esteeming, self-indulgent, self-interested, self-jealous, self-loving, self-occupied, self-pleasing, self-seeking, self-serving, self-sufficient, stingy, thoughtless, tight, tight-fisted, uncharitable, ungenerous